30 March 2020

At Home Due to Coronavirus

As you now know, the world is dealing with a pandemic of coronavirus; specifically, the strain called COVID-19. Here in St. Louis and around the world, non-essential work places have been closed and workers furloughed or laid off.

I am one of those kept at home lately. Eleven days ago (19 March), I reported for work at Enterprise (https://www.enterprise.com/en/home.html) in Ellisville. After getting the wash bay ready and cleaning and spotting the first cars of the day, my manager told me that I was going on immediate furlough for at least two weeks, due to the outbreak. After I made sure my manager was up to date on the wash bay materials situation, I clocked out and headed home.

Later that day, my area manager called to brief me on the situation. Several non-essential branches were closed and there was limited office hours and fewer staff. He said he would keep me posted on any further developments.

About one week later, I touched base with my manager via text and he told me the Ellisville branch and most others were now closed and he and the other staff were at home, awaiting developments. With the shutdown of non-essential travel and the need for people to stay inside as much as possible, this made sense.

This afternoon, my area manager called me back to say my furlough was extended to 30 April, and that only a few rental branches were open in the St. Louis area. He added that I would be paid for two weeks, and could use my paid time off for the remaining days until month's end. I should make a decision on that by the end of this week.

In the meantime, I have been home occupying myself with other pursuits. For one, I have been working on my scale modeling workbench, putting together a model of the Ryan NYP Spirit of St. Louis, Charles A. Lindbergh's Atlantic-spanning aircraft from 1927. I have started to paint the outside of the model, beginning tonight with a primer coat. I should have this done early next month. Having this model done would accomplish two things: 1. Have an entry in the "Roaring Twenties" special category at the May meeting of IPMS/Gateway (https://sites.google.com/view/ipmsgatewaychapter/home) meeting--assuming it is held; and 2. have a model to contribute to the club's display at St. Louis Lambert International Airport (https://www.flystl.com/) later this spring.



Just today, my friend Mark Catalana came by with a model car body he wanted me to paint for him. He told me the other day via Messenger that he greatly admired my work and said I would do a better job than he could, at least on the outside. (Mark said he could do the interiors quite well.) I will work on that this week, in between my Spirit of St. Louis model and a ship model I plan to start on later this week.

I also have kept in touch with family, friends, and other connections during this time--mostly online. I have also viewed TV program and played DVDs to keep my spirits up. (Today, I played "The Blue Brothers.") I am also helping my mom out around the house as much as I can.

I am also keeping my options open regarding my career. Last week, I applied for a corporate communications position in Kansas City, and today I contacted a staffing and recruiting firm to get some help with the process. I also plan to contact people in my network asking for their help.

Overall, I am trying to keep my chin up and feeling positive. Not easy with all the news around the world relating to the coronavirus, but all I can do is my best. Stout hearts.


Later.


No comments: