24 April 2022

Fleacon 2022--Road Trip to Monticello

Just after 4:00 am yesterday (23 April), I left home for the long drive to Monticello, Iowa. I was attending Fleacon 18, the annual model contest and vendor swap meet held by the Alexander Lippisch Chapter of the International Plastic Modelers' Society (IPMS). After brief stops for fuel and refreshments, I arrived at the show site, the Monticello Berndes Center, just after 9:30 am.

After paying my registration fee, I waited for my name to be called to the judging area. This show's contest used teams of two judges who evaluated each entry against a set of standards for construction and finish. After the models were judged, their builders would place them on the contest tables for their respective categories. After about one hour, my name was called, and my three models were judged. I entered a 1:720 scale USS Alabama battleship in Ships and two 1:72 scale aircraft: an I-16 Type 18 and a J-10.





I milled about the Berndes Center, admiring the models on the contest tables and browsing among the vendors. There were 26 tables full of vendors to shop from, and I did buy two aircraft kits that were inexpensive. I also chatted with several vendors, and with the IPMS/Blackhawk Model Builders Society, who were at their first Fleacon as an IPMS/USA chapter.





For lunch, I bought a chicken dressing sandwich and a can of Pepsi from the Center's kitchen. It was satisfying. I had also bought some raffle tickets but did not get lucky with that.

 





The contest drew 211 entries from 60 entrants (including six juniors). The regular awards were placed by the models prior to the major awards being announced. My I-16 earned a Silver award, while the J-10 and USS Alabama each earned a Bronze. I was happy with how this turned out.




After giving my thanks to the hosts and packing up my gear, I got in my car and started driving home. After a brief stop in downtown Monticello to admire the scenery, and stops for dinner and fuel, I came home around 10:15 pm last night. My journey to Monticello and back covered 653.3 miles (1051.4 km).


Later.


Websites of Entities Mentioned in this Post:

IPMS/Alexander Lippisch: Home | Alexander Lippisch Model Club

IPMS/USA: IPMS/USA Home Page | By Modelers... For Modelers (ipmsusa.org)

Monticello Berndes Center: Parks and Recreation (monticello.ia.us)

Blackhawk Model Builders Society: (1) Blackhawk Model Builders Society | Facebook


No comments: