10 February 2024

Eating Out to Benefit the Needy and Soccer Supporters

Yesterday morning (9 February), I stopped on my way to work at the Hardee's restaurant in Twin Oaks for a bit of breakfast. St. Louis area Hardee's locations were doing the annual "Rise & Shine" fundraiser for Heat Up St. Louis, a charity which helps needy households pay utility bills. I bought a sausage biscuit for $1, with Hardee's contributing all the sales to the charity. This was augmented by volunteers in the lobby collecting money in cans. 

In the late 1990s, I worked for the PR firm which had the Hardee's account in Metro St. Louis and helped out on the "Rise & Shine" campaign. Ever since, I have tried to support "Rise & Shine" with at least a sausage biscuit purchase.


I enjoyed the sausage biscuit during the drive to the Enterprise branch in Ballwin. It was a rather busy day for us, but we got through it just fine.

After work, I drove to Steve's Hot Dogs on South Grand in St. Louis for dinner. The restaurant was holding a dine in event yesterday with the St. Louligans to raise funds for the supporter group's tifo fund. (A tifo is a huge banner raised during a soccer match by a team's supporters.) The St. Louligans are gearing up for the 2024 St. Louis CITY SC season and are planning to do tifos for a few matches. This evening would help with raising funds to purchase tifo materials.

This was my first time at Steve's and I ordered one of their specialty hot dogs, the Geddy Lee (named for the Rush frontman). This was a smoked dog covered with buffalo fries, fried cheese curds, white gravy, and crumbled bacon. Essentially, it was poutine on a dog. I had a bag of sea salt and vinegar potato chips and a Sprite. This was most delicious.






My meal was interrupted by a college who wanted us St. Louligans outside the front door for a group picture. I joined in with the group and the picture was taken. I haven't seen it yet, but it should appear on the group's social media in due course.

I really enjoyed myself at Steve's and highly recommend this place to anyone. Steve's also has a booth at CITYPARK for the CITY SC matches.

After dinner, I walked up South Grand to Hot Box Cookies. There, I bought three cookies: one each of gooey butter, cookies 'n creme, and oatmeal raisin. They were all freshly baked and still warm in the bags they were put into. I walked to my car to drive home, eating the gooey butter one in the car and enjoying the other two after I got home that night.



It was a good feeling to help two different causes with my morning and evening meals. I was so glad to do my bit for both Heat Up St. Louis and the St. Louligans yesterday.

Later.

Websites of Entities Mentioned in This Post:

St. Louis CITY SC: St. Louis CITY SC (stlcitysc.com) 
Hot Box Cookies: HotBoxCookies
South Grand Community Improvement District: South Grand Community Improvement District


No comments: