24 June 2024

Catching Up in Mid-June

I realized that I have not posted here in just over one month. Somehow, I have not been able to post to this blog though some noteworthy things happened to me in that stretch. Here's a brief catch up.

My last youth soccer referee assignments of the season were on Sunday, 19 May at World Wide Technology Soccer Park. They were under 13/14 girls matches and they went well. (I had some tournament games the following Sunday the 26th, but they got called off due to stormy weather.)

The IPMS/Gateway meeting on Tuesday, 21 May had a good strong turnout of models for the Modeler of the Year Contest. I talked of the recent awards from Missouri Professional Communicators for editing the club's newsletter and writing and distributing the press release for their 2023 Invitational.

Memorial Day weekend started on Saturday, 25 May with going with Julie to the St. Louis CITY SC match against Seattle Sounders at CITYPARK. Julie and I had fun, except that Seattle won the match 2-1.


I did go to Assumption Greek Orthodox Church in Town and Country for their Greek Festival on Monday the 27th. I had a nice lunch there before going to Spirit of St. Louis Airport in Chesterfield for the Wings over St. Louis program. I saw the Commemorative Air Force's B-25 Mitchell "Show Me" and some military vehicles on display.


Two nights later (29 May), Julie and I were together again at Missouri Botanical Garden for the first of their Whitaker Concert Series programs. We saw jazz singer and bassist Janet Evra perform, and I was most impressed by Evra's performance.


That Saturday morning (1 June), I was at the St. Louis Artists' Guild to join with other Missouri Professional Communicators (MPC) members in assembly goody bags. These bags would go to registrants at the National Federation of Press Women (NFPW) Conference in St. Louis later that month.

On Wednesday, 5 June, I worked the first of three straight Wednesdays as a volunteer for Circus Flora. Their show "Marooned!" played last month at the Big Top in midtown St. Louis. It was a rehearsal show that I witnessed on the 5th, a full show the following Wednesday (12 June), and an abbreviated daytime show one week later (19 June). I was so happy to help volunteer again with the circus, and Circus Flora's company appreciated me and the other volunteers for our efforts.


Julie went with me to see CITY host Portland Timbers on 8 June, which ended up a 0-0 draw. I went myself on 19 June for the match against Colorado Rapids, but CITY lost that one 3-0. Before the latter match, I won the "Schlaffle" raffle held at the St. Louligans' street party by Schlafly Tap Room. The prize package included: a four-pack of Schlafly Supporter Session Hazy Pale Ale; a CITY can coozy; a miniature soccer ball from CITY and University of Missouri-St. Louis; a pair of CITY socks; and a CITY/Lou Fusz Automotive Network banner.


Back tracking a bit, on Sunday 9 June I drove to Overland Park, Kansas for the concluding day of the Heartland Model Car Nationals, presented by KC Slammers. It was great seeing the over 600 car model entries on display, plus seeing fellow scale modelers.

I spent Sunday afternoon and early evening 16 June with Julie. We swam in the pool at her apartment complex, then watched some streaming TV in her apartment with her roommate Joan. Julie and I then had a nice dinner at Applebee's in Creve Coeur.

The June IPMS/Gateway meeting on the 18th featured the annual "Slam Fest," where participants had two hours to assemble and finish a model kit. I built a Spitfire that was in a post-World War II natural metal scheme. The finished models were entered in a People's Choice Contest, with votes determining the top three entries. My Spitfire did not make the top three, but it was a fun time, nevertheless.


Late last week was the NFPW Conference. I will tell you about that in my next post.

Later.

Websites of Entities Mentioned in this Post:

IPMS Gateway Chapter: IPMS Gateway Chapter (google.com)

St. Louis CITY SC: St. Louis CITY SC (stlcitysc.com)

Assumption Greek Orthodox Church: Home | Assumption Greek Orthodox Church (assumptiongoc.org)

Missouri Wing, Commemorative Air Force: Missouri Wing (commemorativeairforce.org)

Missouri Botanical Garden: Missouri Botanical Garden

Janet Evra: Janet Evra

Missouri Professional Communicators: Missouri NFPW affiliate | Missouri Professional Communicators | Clayton (moprocommunicators.org)

Circus Flora: Circus Flora | A St. Louis Tradition For Over 30 years

St. Louligans: Saint Louligans – Supporting Soccer in the St. Louis Area – St. Louligans – Supporting St. Louis Soccer (stlouligans.com)

KC Slammers: KC Slammers – Model Car Club


 

No comments: