17 September 2023

2023 IPMS/USA National Convention (5)

After an overnight drive from San Marcos, I arrived in Austin early on that Sunday (6 August). Finding a parking lot, I pulled in and followed the USA vs Sweden FIFA Women's World Cup Round of 16 match on my phone. Sweden won on penalty kicks, sending the Americans home. I hated to see that, but with the way they played in the tournament, it didn't surprise me.

Just after 7 am, I drove down South Congress Avenue to Jo's Coffee. I had a cold coffee drink and a pastry, which I enjoyed on one of the tables there. It was nice to sit there and have breakfast with the neighborhood stirring. After the meal, I walked by the one side of the building where Jo's motto "i love you so much" was painted on the wall. I snapped a selfie of myself next to that writing and sent it to Julie. She loved that picture.




I then drove down Congress towards the State Capitol. 

After driving by the Capitol, I drove to the northwest towards the University of Texas campus. There, I parked and walked to the Lyndon Baines Johnson Presidential Library and Museum. Some 20 years before, I visited the "LBJ" Library on an earlier visit to Austin. There were a handful of other visitors when I came to visit.

The museum had been extensively renovated since my last visit, with many interactive exhibits. It looked at the life, accomplishments, and legacy of Johnson, the 36th President of the United States. I was born 2.5 months into the Johnson Presidency, so this museum had great resonance to my life.



They also had a gallery on Johnson's wife, Claudia "Lady Bird" Taylor Johnson, and replicas of Lyndon Johnson's Oval Office and Lady Bird's White House office. Also displayed was a limousine used by President Johnson. After touring the museum, I bought a few items in the shop before leaving.

For lunch, I went to Sam's BBQ in Central East Austin. I enjoyed a delicious lunch of brisket and chicken with sides. It's a small place, but well regarded.


I then spent the afternoon driving around Austin, stopping to browse at a few shops. I also topped up the fuel in the rental car, so I would return it at the same full fuel setting as I had picked it up the previous Wednesday.

Late that afternoon, I drove to Austin Bergstrom International Airport, first going to the Enterprise Facility there to return my car. Taking my luggage out, I then walked into the terminal to check in to my Southwest flight to Houston. I arrived at the terminal finding out that this flight was delayed leaving Austin and that I would not make the connecting flight to St. Louis. I enquired at the Southwest counter. They agreed with me and changed me to a later flight out to Dallas.

I passed through the security checkpoint and found my way to the gate for the flight that night to Dallas. After waiting for some 2.5 hours, I boarded the flight and arrived at Love Field. There, I made my way to the gate for the flight to St. Louis. After boarding it and having settled into the seat, the flight attendants said the flight had been cancelled due to crew fatigue issues.

The other passengers and I went back to the terminal and were told the next flight to St. Louis would be about 6 hours from then. This was just past midnight in Dallas. I settled into a seat in the terminal and waited until the flight would board.

After being half asleep for a few hours, I freshened up in the men's room and boarded the flight to St. Louis. This went off without a hitch and I arrived at St. Louis Lambert International Airport in the middle of Monday morning (7 August).

After getting my checked back from baggage claim, I waited for The Parking Spot 3 shuttle bus to arrive. It came and I boarded the bus to take me to my car. After dropping off a few other passengers, the bus arrived at my car. I got out with my baggage, loaded up my car, and drove out of the lot and back home. I had taken this day off from work to unwind, and considering the travel adventure coming home from Austin, it was a wise decision. I came home, unpacked, and relaxed before returning to work the next day.

Later.

Websites of Entities Mentioned in This Post:

Lyndon Baines Johnson Presidential Library and Museum: LBJ Presidential Library (lbjlibrary.org)
Austin Bergstrom International Airport: Airport (AUS) | AustinTexas.gov
St. Louis Lambert International Airport: St. Louis Lambert International Airport (flystl.com)


No comments: