04 September 2024

2024 Labor Day Weekend: Japanese Festival, CITY Soccer

After a busy week of work, I was ready for a holiday weekend. It got going Saturday morning (31 August), when I picked up Julie and we headed to the Missouri Botanical Garden. This was the venue for the annual Japanese Festival that weekend. Julie is a Garden member, so we got a bit of a discount on Festival tickets. I found a parking spot on the street a short walk from the Garden and the two of us went to attend the Festival.

We took in an opening ceremony, which featured dignitaries that included the Japanese Consul in Chicago. After the ceremony, Julie and I went to the amphitheater to see a parade of cosplay artists dressed as their anime characters. It was fascinating to see these people and to hear about the characters they are portraying.




Julie and I went to the food tents to get a cup of sake and a bowl of mushroom and vegetables on a bed of noodles, both of which we shared. I then browsed among some exhibits aimed at children, including one on Japanese characters.



After that, Julie and I walked back to my car and I drove her back to her apartment. We had a wonderful time experiencing Japanese culture.

Sunday morning (1 September), I was up early to head to Creve Coeur Park Soccer Complex. I was there to referee two matches in the Gallagher Friendlies tournament that weekend. I had two middles in under 11 boys, which played 9-a-side on a smaller field and 30-minute halves. The first game was more challenging, having to deal with a coach who wandered up and down the touchline instead of staying within his technical area. I cautioned him for continuing to stray from the area, and he wised up. The second match was much calmer by comparison, with no major issues.

After my matches ended, I drove towards CITYPARK for St. Louis CITY SC's match that afternoon against LA Galaxy. I stopped at a QuikTrip men's room on the way to change out of my referee uniform and get into more appropriate attire for a St. Louligans member. I got a cheesesteak sandwich and potato chips from the Widdy's Cheesesteaks food truck and a beer from Schlafly at the street party by the Schlafly Tap Room. Some time after that, I joined in the parade into the stadium for the match.

It was hot and humid, but the crowd was loud and packing the stands for CITY's match against the MLS Western Conference leaders.



Cedric Teuchert scored for CITY in the 9th minute to give the home side the lead. Early in the second half, the Galaxy leveled the score, but CITY won it on Marcel Hartel's 68th minute strike. Roman Burki was superb in goal, making 5 saves for CITY. We were a happy group of fans at full time.



After a well-deserved sleep, I woke up Monday morning (2 September) to nothing. Work was closed that day for Labor Day. I hung around the house that day, mowing the lawns, watching TV, and working on an aircraft model. It was back to work the next day (3 September), and it was a busy one with many cars to clean. My colleagues and I got the job done and all ended well.

Later.

Websites of Entiries Mentioned in this Post:

Missouri Botanical Garden: Missouri Botanical Garden
Creve Coeur Park Soccer Complex: Creve Coeur Park Soccer Complex (ccparksoccer.com)
Schlafly Tap Room: Schlafly

No comments: