15 September 2024

Weekend of Class Reunion, Model Contest, and CITY Soccer

Right after a full day of work on Friday (13 September), it was off (after a clothing change on the way) to Andre's Banquet & Catering South in Oakville. My high school class--Mehlville High School Class of 1982--was having a 42.5-year reunion and 60th birthday party. I had to admit it was hard for me to bring myself to come, as I didn't have the greatest of experiences in high school and since. Fortunately, classmates made me feel welcome and I could relax a bit.

I was able to mingle and to meet many of those classmates in attendance along with one of my teachers. There was a buffet dinner with a birthday cake, a slide show of images from Mehlville High during the time we were there, high school yearbooks and other artifacts from those days, a memorial tribute table to classmates and teachers who have died since 1982, and classmate Phil Bender speaking to the crowd. A DJ played music of the time. Overall, it was a nice time that should have gone on an hour or two longer for me.






Among my classmates present that night was my good friend Tim Popp, who I had not seen in person in some time. It was good to catch up with him for a bit.


I came home after the event to get a bit of sleep before being up early the next morning (14 September). It was off to Affton Elks Lodge #2635, where IPMS Gateway Chapter was holding its annual Invitational model contest and swap meet. I was there to help with running the show, particularly in running the admission table. Besides helping take the attendees' money and attaching wristbands, I asked attendees where they found out about the Invitational and where they live. The questions were for survey purposes in planning outreach for future shows.

I entered three models in the contest: an F9F-2 Panther in Aircraft, and a Bren Gun Carrier and 6-pounder anti-tank gun in Armor. I didn't spend much time in the contest and vendor areas, as I was kept busy with attendees. By my count, we had 180 attendees (not counting show volunteers and vendors) who came from as far as West Virginia, Georgia, and Michigan.







I was one of the contest judges, helping out in judging Figures and Out of the Box entries. There were some terrific quality models entered in this show. In fact, 68 attendees entered 317 models in the contest. Virtually everyone left the show happy with how it came out. I stayed to help tear down and get the hall back to where it was before set up the day before. With all the volunteers there, it took just over an hour to do so.

After coming home to drop off my things from the Invitational and making a change of clothes, it was off to Schlafly Tap Room for the St. Louligans pre-match party.  Before St. Louis CITY SC played Minnesota United, it was party time. I got a Kolsch beer from a Schlafly beer tent and a Meatball Here Parmesan with Mozzarella from the New York Tom's Foodtruck. 




After the party, I joined the supporters' march into CITYPARK for the match. As the match began, a tifo honoring Hispanic Heritage Month was lowered in front of the Supporter Section.

CITY took the lead early in the match, but that would be the only high point, as Minnesota United scored three unanswered goals to win 3-1. This loss means CITY has very little chance of getting the final playoff spot in the Western Conference of MLS. A disappointing end to the day for me.

Later.

Websites of Entities Mentioned in this Post:

IPMS Gateway Chapter: IPMS Gateway Chapter (google.com)
New York Tom's Foodtruck:  Home (nytfoodtruck.com)
Minnesota United FC: Minnesota United FC (mnufc.com)


No comments: