26 May 2009

A rather interesting Memorial Day weekend




Friday night, I went to The Royale pub in south St. Louis to take in a DJ spin on their patio. Husband-and-wife DJs and KDHX-FM hosts Steve and Cat Pick were spinning a rather eclectic mix of music. Cat was my high school classmate. I don't think she quite recognized me there, but I was happy to see her.
Saturday afternoon, I was in Cottleville for the St. Louis Lions-Des Moines Menace match, working as 4th official. We gathered well before game time to inspect the field, go over procedures and begin administrative tasks. The game was physical, but fine, as St. Louis and Des Moines tied at 2. St. Louis led 1-0 with an early goal, but Des Moines scored two 2nd half goals to take the lead, only for the Lions to equalize late in the match. This result meant that St. Louis advanced to the 2009 US Open Cup tournament, and Des Moines did not. I was rather nervous, this being my first PDL assignment, but overal it was fine. I work as 4th on another Lions match on 6 June. After this game, I had a nice dinner at a St. Peters bar and grill, Mad Dogs and Cats, before driving home.
Sunday afternoon found me going Greek for awhile, as I attended the annual Greek Fest put on by Assumption Greek Orthodox Church in Town and Country, Missouri. Skies were overcast and I took in the vendors, food and entertainment of this event. I should have some cellphone photos from that event attached to this post. (My scheduled men's soccer games Sun. morning were called off, probably because no one wanted to play that day.)
Yesterday was quiet. I spent it at home, watching some war movies on cable (Turner Classic Movies' annual Memorial Day Weekend marathon). Today, I got my hair cut, deposited my pay from Saturday's game. and applied online for a magazine editing job in Pennsylvania. Wish me luck!
Later.

No comments: