26 April 2012

Meetings and Refereeing, with a Book Fair Ahead

One week ago tonight (19 April), I attended the Missouri Aviation Historical Society's monthly meeting in Clayton, where a presentation on the US Navy's Blue Angels was made. It was an enjoyable and informative program, which included a history of the display team and video of one of the Blue Angels' shows. I touched base with the presenters after the meeting, and told them about IPMS/Gateway. They were interested enough to give me their business cards, and I hope to contact them soon regarding speaking at a club meeting or banquet.

I had a busy weekend of soccer refereeing, starting Friday night (20 April), with lines on two under 14 boys matches at the Scott Gallagher Complex. The next afternoon found me at the Soccer Park, where I worked four 8v8 (under 11 and under 10) boys matches. The plan was for me to do two middles and two lines, but the colleague scheduled to do the other middles had to help cover an adjacent field, so I ended up with all four games in the middle. It was fine, working with two colleagues with little experience in officiating, but it ended up well. Sunday afternoon (22 April) had me at Scott Gallagher again for three under 14 boys matches. My middle was in the first contest, a rather even match (1-1 draw) that was rather interesting near the end with an injury causing me to add time. I sure felt tired by the end of the third game that day, but satisfied in having been an effective referee that day. That's nine matches worked in 48 hours.

Gokul, an Indian restaurant in west St. Louis County, was the site of the Human Sexuality and Relationships in the 21st Century (HSR21) Meetup Monday night (23 April). About 12 of us were there to discuss ideas for cheap first dates in Metro St. Louis. We had a fine time, I thought. The next morning had me at the GO! Network weekly meeting at the St. Patrick Center in downtown St. Louis. Several GO! alumni discussed how they landed their jobs, with ideas for the audience (including myself). That night, I was at Brad and Julie's Vaughn's house for the IPMS/Gateway business meeting. We planned the May meeting and discussed other matters, including my proofreading a club brochure. (Very little needed changing, I thought.)

Last night, I was refereeing under 14 boys matches at Sportport in Maryland Heights. It was unseasonably warm (upper 80s F for the day's high) and the action got rather hot in my middle in first match. It ended up 3-1, with all goals in the first half, but one or two more goals could have been scored in the second half. I had an injury to deal with (a player off the ball fell down hurt, possibly a knee ligament problem), and a player I cautioned for running into the opposing goalkeeper late in the match, but overall things worked out well. I have a busy late this weekend: Three 8v8 games in St. Charles for a tournament on Saturday morning, three under 14 league games in west St. Louis that afternoon, then three more 8v8 games the next day in Fenton.

Tonight, I work the first of two volunteer shifts at the Greater St. Louis Book Fair, which runs tonight through Sunday at the lower level of the Macy's East Parking Garage of West County Center in Des Peres, Missouri. This book fair--which I have attended often in previous years--is the Midwest's largest charity book sale, with proceeds benefitting local education and literacy programs. I work tonight and tomorrow (Friday) late afternoon-early evening. Hope to see you there! For more information, please visit www.stlouisbookfair.org.

Later.

No comments: