31 May 2012

Quiet on Memorial Day

Last Wednesday night (23 May), I was with the St. Louis United FC group at The Pasta House Company in University City. We enjoyed some appetizers and beer (the latter from 6 Row), and I watched my well-heeled colleagues bid on teams taking part in UEFA Euro 2012 next month in Poland and Ukraine. Several hundred dollars was bid in this Calcutta auction, with half going to the winning bidder and half to a priest in Honduras who's helping improve lives through soccer.

The next afternoon, after a call from my financial adviser who was touching base with me, I attended a business networking event at The Hive @ 44 Business Coworking Community in Fenton. It was the grand opening of the place, where several small businesses have space to start and grow their firms. I did meet a few people there who may be of help in my job search, and my friend Kimberly, who works at The Hive, was co-hosting the event.

It was a rather quiet Memorial Day Weekend for me. No soccer; a youth tournament scheduled for that weekend was called off. (Insufficient interest by teams, I think.) I was going to help register some voters Saturday afternoon in Concord Village, but the person who was supposed to meet me there with the materials did not show. I waited for 25 minutes before calling it a day. What a waste.

I was home Sunday to watch auto racing on TV: first, the Grand Prix of Monaco; then, my favorite, the Indianapolis 500. Monday afternoon, I went to Assumption Greek Orthodox Church in Town and Country for their annual St. Louis County Greek Fest. It was an ethnic festival; food, crafts, dance, music. Lots of fun and they had a great crowd. It's one of my favorite ethnic festivals (as is its bookend, the Labor Day weekend festival at St. Nicholas Greek Orthodox Church in St. Louis).

Tuesday (29 May) found me at GO! Network's workshop in downtown St. Louis. The group is shutting down by the end of June, unless am 11-th hour addition of funds came their way. I did chat with two fellow job seekers, so maybe we could help each other out. Tuesday night, I went to the Mehlville High Class of 1982 Reunion Committee meeting, where we went over the classmates contacted and those to be contacted, as info on our reunion in October will be emailed by this weekend. Plus, we got to chat about old times.

Dad was rushed to the hospital this morning. He's been complaining of pains in his lower back and abdomen and hasn't slept well at all. Hopefully, the doctors will get that fixed soon.


No comments: