04 October 2012

Passing the Assessment and Being in the Dark

Last weekend was a most interesting one for me. I started Saturday (29 Sept.) afternoon off at All on the Same Page Bookstore in Creve Coeur, where there was a book signing by my friend Linsey Daman. She was signing copies of her book "Bridging St. Louis: One Cultural Step at a Time," which she published this past summer. It talks of her life and on founding and running the Cultural Arts Center of St. Louis. Linsey also signed copies of two other books she's written: "Water Blue," a collection of poetry, prose and short stories; and, "Windershin," an animated mystery thriller. Two vocalists performed in the store while I was there. You can find out more on Linsey and the Cultural Arts Center on their website: http://cacstlouis.com/.

I could only stay a little while, as I then had to drive to the Scott Gallagher Complex in Maryland Heights for three Premier League U18 girls' matches. My middle came in the first match, in which I also had my maintenance assessment. The assessor observed as my crew and I officiated the match and he talked with me after the match. Overall, I passed the assessment, with just a few minor areas to improve on. It was a competitive, yet largely uneventful match (at least in terms of major incidents needing my attention). I was most gratified by his comments (which he included in his written assessment sent to me two days later). The other two matches went well, except for a major injury near the end of the third game.

The next morning (30 Sept.), I was back at Scott Gallagher for three under 14 boys' matches. I had the first match in the middle, and I was able to employ the suggestions my assessor gave me the day before in that game. Late in the match, I had to send off a player for denying his opponent an obvious goal scoring opportunity, for which I had to write a report for the league office. Otherwise, Sunday's games were fine.

My parents had an electrician at home Monday (1 Oct.) to fix some wiring in the dining room. That was fixed; however, he inadvertently cut off power to my bedroom directly below. (I didn't discover this until after he left the house.) I had to plug in a lamp and my TV using an extension cord into the office next door, until the electrician came back yesterday morning (3 Oct.) to fix that. So, I was (sort of) in the dark for awhile, but all's good now.

I ran the IPMS/St. Louis meeting Tuesday night and helped man the phone bank for state senate candidate Scott Sifton last night. That was done early, due to the presidential debate last night.

Big Saturday coming up for me: Model display, online radio show, and class reunion. I'll be at St. Louis Downtown Airport in Cahokia, Illinois for the Greater St. Louis Air and Space Museum Open House. There, I'll help man IPMS/Gateway's display. During the noon hour (Central Time), I'll phone in my co-hosting role on this month's edition of "Writers Block" from Naturally Autistic Radio. You can tune in to the program, which Blog Talk Radio streams. Details at http://www.naturallyautistic.com/radio-show/radio-drama-writers-block-saturdays/.

Finally, Saturday night is the 30-year class reunion for Mehlville Senior High School's Class of 1982. I'm on the committee putting this event on, and I'm looking forward to it. I'll let you know how that went in my next post.


No comments: