19 September 2013

The 2013 IPMS Gateway Invitational is a Success

After putting in a Friday (13 Sept.) shift at the car rental branch, I got home to make final preps for the 2013 IPMS Gateway to the West Invitational. I finished a 1:144 scale DC-4 in American Airlines colors to be included in the club display there. Up early the next morning, I packed up my things and headed to the show's venue, the Holiday Inn Route 66 in Sunset Hills, Missouri. I helped with final set up of the show, and then served as one of the admissions people in the morning. I took money from the attendees (both show admission and contest registration fees) and gave each attendee a wristband so they could go out and return without paying again. After a brief lunch at the desk, I worked as a contest judge, helping judge armor entries. That was a real challenge, as there were some very good armor entries in our contest. However, the judging team I was on got it done and the contest results were announced from just before 3 pm.

Our show--the first time at this venue--was a great success, with a strong attendance, happy vendors, and raves about the venue. We'll be back there next year. Save the date: 13 Sept. 2014. You can get a wrap of the show, plus photos of the models, here: http://www.ipms-gateway.com/Gateway2013.html

I had to pass on the club picnic the next day, as I was refereeing youth soccer games in Maryland Heights. The three games (under 14s) were OK.

Back to work Monday (16 Sept.) at the car rental branch, with the usually hectic Monday morning rush. I worked again two days later, and will tomorrow (Friday) and this Saturday morning.

Tuesday night (17 Sept.), I got the fellowship hall at Calvary Presbyterian Church ready for the IPMS/Gateway meeting. As our president was away, I ran the meeting, which had a wrap of our Invitational, a build night, a quarterly model contest, and a slideshow from this year's IPMS/USA National Convention.

Tonight, I'm off to the Missouri Aviation Historical Society's monthly meeting at Creve Coeur Airport. More info at their website: http://moavhist.org/

Later.

No comments: