01 May 2014

Book Fair and Refereeing, Plus an Eye Exam

Last Saturday night (26 April) found me at West County Center in Town and Country, Missouri helping out at the 65th Annual Greater St. Louis Book Fair. It's a charity book sale benefitting local education and literacy programs. I volunteered as a cashier--the third year in a row I've been a Book Fair volunteer--and I really enjoyed doing my part to help patrons at this event. I came back the following Sunday afternoon to buy a few books for myself, taking advantage of the 1/2 price on all items that day. I may have a few items to donate to next year's event.

Before that bit of shopping Sunday, I was at the Soccer Park in Fenton refereeing girls under-11 soccer matches. My assignor called late that morning asking me to replace a referee who had a family situation. I worked the two small sided (8v8) matches as referee with two young assistant referees. Both matches went well and the pay was appreciated. (The sore heel, due to the persistent tendonitis, was not.)

Kept busy at work this week, especially as I was the only car prep person at our branch. One of the other preps was on vacation and the other's recovering from recent wrist surgery. All of us at the branch pitched in and we got things taken care of in good fashion.

On my off day today, I got my eyes examined by a optometrist at Crown Vision Center. She found that my left eye had gotten a bit worse from my previous exam a year ago, but the right eye was fine. After that, I had a new pair of glasses ordered, which should be ready in seven to ten business days. Thanks to my workplace's vision plan, I won't have to pay so much for the glasses and the exam. Most appreciated.

Later.

No comments: