02 October 2014

Finishing My Vacation and Back to Work

Last Friday (26 September), I ended my time off with visits to two places in Metro St. Louis I have not visited in years. First, I went to Cahokia Mounds State Historical Site in Collinsville, Illinois, northeast of St. Louis, which I visited on a school field trip years ago. It was a pleasant day and I enjoyed the visit to the interpretation center and walking to the mounds. I walked to the top of Monks Mound, which is about 300 feet (91.4 m) tall. To think this was accomplished centuries ago by Mississippian people who only had hand tools was most impressive. Cahokia Mounds is on UNESCO's World Heritage Sites list.

After that visit and lunch, I drove to City Museum in downtown St. Louis. It's full of one-of-a-kind exhibits, mainly taken from old structures and other manufactured items. For example, there was an exhibit of building decorations (doorways, corners, window sills, etc.) from now-demolished buildings. It's rather interesting, with some exhibits that I think kids would find more exciting.

After a nice relaxing weekend, it was back to work on Monday (29 September). Business has been going well at the rental branch of late, and I did my part to keep things rolling along.

After work Monday, I was at the monthly soccer referee clinic, where we discussed refereeing controversies at the FIFA World Cup over the years and what teachable moments we get from them. I also received my ticket to the St. Louis Soccer Hall of Fame induction dinner on 18 October. I'll have more on that in due course.

Working tomorrow, and refereeing soccer on Sunday. Should be fun.

Later.

No comments: