23 June 2016

Really Hot Time

A week ago tonight (16 June) found me at Creve Coeur Airport (http://www.crevecoeurairport.com/) for the Missouri Aviation Historical Society (https://moavhist.org/) meeting. This month's program was airborne law enforcement, as guest Kurt Frisz--a former St. Louis County Police Air Support Unit pilot--talked about the history of airborne law enforcement in the US, and in Missouri and the St. Louis area in particular. After Frisz' talk, a Metro Air Support Unit (http://www.metroairsupport.org/) MD 500E helicopter landed at Creve Coeur Airport, and we would look up close at the helicopter and chat with the two crewmen. It was very nice, coming right at dusk. A most fascinating program.

After a hot Friday at the car rental branch, I was back at Creve Coeur Airport on Saturday (18 June) for the Missouri Aviation Historical Society's first annual member barbecue. Chris Merseal from CRM Hobbies (http://www.crmhobbies.com/) cooked the meat and those in attendance had a wonderful time socializing. Two big cakes decorated with US flags climaxed the meal.

After this event, I drove to Mark Twain Hobby Center (http://www.hobby1.com/) in St. Charles to drop off some flyers for IPMS/Gateway (http://www.ipms-gateway.com/)--promoting the club and the Invitational on 10 September--and buying a kit to put together at the club's meeting in three days. (More on that later).

Fulfilling a promise, I put some photos from the Missouri Aviation Historical Society meeting and barbecue on a thumb drive and got them to Linsey Daman on Sunday. I also helped her out regarding some aircraft and markings she saw at a recent radio controlled aircraft meet in the St. Louis area.

Back at work on Monday morning (20 June), we kept busy making sure we exceeded customer expectations. A bit of a challenge on this day, due to so many cars to get ready and many customers to take care of in the morning, but we got through it. Generally, things have been well. Hannah, who was at our branch last fall before going to the Airport, came back to our branch last Friday. She's a superb addition to where ever she is based. However, our assistant manager Cayla is out due to an injury sustained in a car accident the previous weekend. Wish her a speedy recovery!

After flexing out on Tuesday, I got home and prepared for that night's IPMS/Gateway meeting, which featured our annual Slam Fest. Members had two hours to assemble and finish a model kit. In my case, it was a B-70 Valkyrie kit that I bought at Mark Twain the previous Saturday. I got it done with minutes to spare, one of eight models completed. It did not win in the popular vote, but that's OK. It was fun to try. Also, my photos from last month's Invitational in Louisville were screened, and I displayed my five award winning models from that show. Additionally, I renewed my club membership for another year.

Yesterday was the hottest day of the year so far, with the temperature reaching 100 degrees F (38 degrees C), with the heat index reaching 110 degrees F (43 degrees C). I hit the water and thirst quencher early and often, and stayed inside the air-conditioned office as much as possible. Fortunately, it was not too busy.

Off to help at Circus Flora (http://circusflora.org/) again tonight.


No comments: