02 December 2019

Vacation in Charleston (3)

After relaxing at home one week ago, I went back out of the house the next day (26 November). That morning, I drove across the Arthur Ravenel Jr. Bridge to Patriots Point Naval & Maritime Museum (https://www.patriotspoint.org/) in Mount Pleasant, just north of Charleston. I visited there when I was last in Charleston five years ago, but wanted to see more this time.

I started aboard the aircraft carrier USS Yorktown (CV-10), the star attraction of Patriots Point. Yorktown saw action in the Pacific during World War II, from late 1943 until mid-1945. She also saw service during the Cold War, and was the prime recovery ship of the Apollo 8 space mission (December 1968), until decommissioned in 1970. Aboard Yorktown, I visited the Medal of Honor Museum, which salutes those who have earned this country's top award for military valor. Then, I toured the ship, from stern to stem, visiting various rooms (which had explanations for that roles they served) and seeing various displays below decks. I also admired the aircraft displayed on the hangar and flight decks, and went into the island superstructure. It was a great thrill for me.










After a after about four hours aboard Yorktown, I sent to the destroyer USS Laffey (DD-724), which is moored alongside Yorktown. Laffey saw action from early 1944, first off Normandy on D-Day (6 June 1944), then in the Pacific. Off Okinawa on 16 April 1945, Laffey survived attacks by 22 Japanese aircraft in a 79-minute span. Despite being hit by five kamikazes (suicide aircraft) and three bombs, she stayed afloat and downed nine Japanese aircraft. Laffey would go on to serve during the Korean War and in the Atlantic during the Cold War before being decommissioned in 1975.


I enjoyed spending time aboard Laffey, starting with inside the aft main gun turret, which was hit by a kamikaze in the 16 April 1945 attacks. I also went through the various rooms of the ship and made it to the bridge. I then took in an interactive display in the Combat Information Center (CIC) depicting a Cold War Anti Submarine Warfare (ASW) exercise.




After visiting Laffey, I walked over to the nearby Vietnam Experience, where some vehicles and weapons from the Vietnam War were on display. There were also interpretive displays on the war and the US role in it, and sound effects from the period were played on loudspeakers. It was all very interesting.






After spending most of the day at Patriots Point, I drove back to the guest house, then walked next door to Rick's house for dinner.

I will tell of the rest of my vacation in my next post. Later.

No comments: