12 August 2011

A Time for Family

Last weekend, I found out the value of family in times like these. My parents agreed to help tide me over on some urgent expenses in my life, until things pick up again soon with work. That was a big load of worry lifted from my shoulders. My brother Rick and his son Alex came in town last Friday for a few days. We--Mom, Dad, Rick, Alex and myself--had a nice time together. Saturday, we were joined by four more relatives: My uncle, Harold Koenig (Mom's brother); his wife, Suzanne; their daughter, Karen Palmer; and Karen's son Trevor. They had traveled from Fircrest, Washington to Suzanne's relatives in Ohio and stopped in St. Louis for a few days. I had not seen them in a few years, so it was a nice time for all of us to get caught up on things. Karen and Trevor really appreciated the air combat videos I showed them the other day (Trevor's into that stuff in a big way). The Koenigs left St. Louis yesterday, one day after Rick and Alex flew back to Charleston.

Sunday afternoon (7 Aug.), I was co-hosting the monthly Writer's Block online radio show from Naturally Autistic Radio. The hour-long program went into how mentoring helped our writing and editing careers, and how different writing for children was from writing for adult audiences. Writer's Block will run on the first Sunday afternoon in the month. You can find out more about this and other Naturally Autistic radio shows at www.naturallyautistic.com/radio-show/.

Last Monday and Tuesday, I went to back to see career counselors for ideas on getting my stalled job search back into high gear. Monday's visit was with Saint Louis University's Student Success Center (career center), while Tuesday's was a session with the Missouri Career Center in Arnold. I got good info from both people I saw on this area, and I hope to implement them soon.

Last night, I was at the monthly meeting of the Missouri Aviation Historical Society in Clayton. A former McDonnell test pilot related his story to our group, and I got to plug the IPMS/Gateway Invitational in Eureka on 10 Sept.

I may have some temp work in the coming week. Stay tuned on that.

Tomorrow, the youth soccer season starts anew, and I have some games in the afternoon, plus men's games Sunday afternoon. In between, I plan to take my annual referee fitness test. I should be OK, although I have been resting up a bit today.

Later.

No comments: