08 March 2012

March Coming in Like a Lion

Last Friday (2 Mar.), I brought two boxes of models and some club flyers to CRM Hobbies, for pickup by Don Hoffman. He's an IPMS/Gateway member who arranged a display this month at the Festus (Mo.) Public Library in his town of residence. I could not make it down to Festus the next day to help set up in person, so this was a compromise I arranged with Don. It should be interesting to see how this goes.

The reason I could not get down to Festus was that I was co-hosting Writer's Block on Naturally Autistic Radio that afternoon. I called in to talk with co-host Tim Pylypiuk and we discussed reading and writing experiences as children and how parents and teachers can encourage a love of reading and writing in their children. A nice hour as usual. You can find out more and download the archived show here: http://www.naturallyautistic.com/radio-show/. Our next Writer's Block program is on Sat., 7 April at 2 pm Central Time.

That night, I was at GameTime in St. Peters for the final night of futsal this season. I was scheduled to work three games, but only the middle game of the set was played. Neither team showed up for the first and third games. Rather anticlimactic, I'd say. The next afternoon (4 Mar.), I was at SIU-Edwardsville's Ralph Korte Stadium to officiate three U15-18 boys' games. They went well; I had the middle on the first game of the set. We did get a bit of snow falling down during the last game of the set, but it was sporadic and did not stick when it touched down.

We had some pretty stiff winds blowing around here this past week. The gusts were high enough for high wind warnings being issued on Tuesday (6 Mar.). At least it was pleasant otherwise. Tuesday night, I ran the IPMS/St. Louis meeting at Thornhill Branch Library and it went well. I got to show off my current modeling project and see a few others that were brought in.

Last night, I was refereeing at the SLYSA Complex in St. Charles, doing the middle on a under-14 boys' match and lining an under-13 girls' match. They went well, although I had to deal with a coach upset about a call my assistant referee didn't make in my middle. Fortunately, that did not persist.

Please give my family your thoughts and prayers. My dad's having a hard time getting around lately. He's seeing a doctor tomorrow to check his spinal column, which is bothering him.

Before I go, I didn't want to end this without acknowledging both International Women's Day and National Proofreading Day today.


No comments: