28 December 2014

Christmas 2014

One week before Christmas (18 December), I attended the annual soccer referee recertification clinic, held at Forest Park Community College in St. Louis. Myself and other referees learned of the few changes in the Laws of the Game, and areas of emphasis. We also received our new Law books and 2015 referee patches.

I used the patch and put my knowledge of the Laws of the Game to use the following Saturday (20 December), when I officiated two high school age boys winter league matches at the Soccer Park in Fenton. I ran line on the first match and was in the middle in the second. The matches went well and although I was a bit winded afterward (not having had much running time before those games), I felt fine afterward.

My work schedule this past week was shortened due to Christmas. I worked a full day Monday (22 December), was off Tuesday, worked a shortened (4 hour) day Wednesday, was off Thursday for the Holiday, and a full day Friday, plus yesterday morning. The rather mild weather this past week was fine, and we had our customers taken care off in good order.

Last Tuesday, on my off day, I got my haircut at Great Clips near South County Center in Mehlville, then went to Foundation Grounds in Maplewood to have a coffee and buy my ticket for next month's Sweet Tooth Tour of downtown Maplewood merchants. After that, I went to CRM Hobbies in St. Louis to drop off a master copy of the flyer for next year's IPMS/USA Region 5 Convention in St. Louis, and to buy some paint for a model I'm working on soon.

After supper with my mom on Christmas Eve--which included, per family tradition, baked ham and spaghetti with cheese and tomato sauce--we went to service at Calvary Presbyterian Church. It was a nice service. After that, we were home and we opened our Christmas presents which were under the Christmas tree. I received from family members two neck ties, a bottle of cologne, two books, a model kit, smartphone earbuds, and three gift cards or e-certificates. A family friend gave me a third book. My brothers and I pitched in to get mom a new microwave oven, which I bought on Tuesday. I also gave mom a gift card to Kohl's stores.

It was hard to get in the spirit of this season, the first since my dad died last summer. However, my mother, brothers, and some friends urged me to be positive and know he is looking down on us. So, I did my best.

After work on Friday, I was at Mike George's house in Florissant for the IPMS/Gateway business meeting. Both outgoing and incoming executive boards were present (myself as secretary for 2014 and 2015), and we planned next month's general and business meetings, settled on special categories for the 2015 Modeler of the Year Contests, and discussed other club business.

Yesterday after work, I was at Stone Spiral Coffee in Maplewood for the Saint Louis Area Sippers Meetup group. It was my first time with this group and I had a fine time with the others in attendance. I am looking forward to more get togethers with this group.

This afternoon found me at Creve Coeur Racquet Club refereeing boys futsal matches. I worked four matches--one of under 14s, then three of high school aged. These games went well, although I did have to crack down a few times when players got too rough for my mood.

Back to work tomorrow and 2014 ends on Wednesday night. I hope for a better 2015. How about you?

Later.

No comments: