20 August 2017

Scale Models, Blood Test, Soccer and Work

One week ago (13 August), I went to service at Calvary Presbyterian Church (http://calvarypresbyterianchurch.org/) with my mom, my brother Rick and his daughter (and my goddaughter) Kate. We had a fine time with that, and the fellowship time after the service. We went out for dinner at IHOP (http://www.ihop.com/) in Mehlville, then went home for some quiet time. I said my goodbye to Kate, as I she and Rick would fly back to Charleston while I was at work the next day.

That night, I was at Toyota Stadium for the Saint Louis FC (http://saintlouisfc.com/landing/index) match against Tampa Bay Rowdies. It was a wild match, with Saint Louis taking an early 2-0 lead, then Tampa Bay scored three times to lead 3-2 at halftime. Saint Louis scored twice in the second half--the winner coming one minute before full time--to win 4-3. I joined with the St. Louligans (http://stlouligans.com/) in cheering on the home side.

Back to work on Monday (14 August), I welcomed our new assistant manager, Miranda, who had worked at our branch earlier this year when she started off with the firm. It was a busy Monday as usual for us, but we got through it just fine. Later in the week, we welcomed a new management trainee, Will, to our branch.

After work Tuesday, I dashed home to get my things, then went to Calvary Presbyterian Church for this month's IPMS/Gateway (http://www.ipms-gateway.com/) general meeting. We had a contest judging seminar, to help our members judge our contest next month. We also saluted the models of Rick Keasey and Jim Triola which won awards at last month's IPMS/USA National Convention in Omaha. Our group paid tribute to members Fred Amos and Richard White, who died in recent weeks (along with the wife of member Myron Lane), and we had our Model of the Month "Beauty Contest." I volunteered to host the business meeting this Tuesday.

The next afternoon (16 August), I flexed out of work in the afternoon, as I would be working the following Saturday morning. I took care of business at home, and ate an early dinner before fasting that night. I was at the medical testing lab in Concord Village the next morning for a blood test. Blood was drawn for testing, as requested by my doctor last month. Hopefully, all will be well.

Thursday afternoon found me at Marcus Wehrenberg's Ronnies 20 Cinema (http://www.marcustheatres.com/theatre-locations/marcus-ronnie's-20-cine-imax) in Concord Village to see the movie "Dunkirk" (http://www.dunkirkmovie.com/). I saw it in the IMAX format and was most impressed. A very well done movie, I think.

That night, I was at the Missouri Aviation Historical Society (https://moavhist.org/) meeting at Creve Coeur Airport (http://crevecoeurairport.com/). This meeting featured a reading on the 75th anniversary of the Battle of Guadalcanal, and the screening of a 2014 video on Tom Mohan, a veteran of that battle who flew in a restored SBD Dauntless like the one he flew as a rear gunner at Guadalcanal. It was quite a nice evening. I also plugged the IPMS/Gateway Contest with flyers for the event.

After work yesterday morning, I had lunch at Which Wich (https://www.whichwich.com/) in Chesterfield. Back home, I got ready for the Saint Louis FC match against Pittsburgh Riverhounds. After going to Smugala's (http://smugalas.com/) in Sunset Hills for a beer and to catch the shuttle bus to Toyota Stadium. I went to the St. Louligans tailgate for chili and beer (after having some chili at home!) before marching in with them to the Stadium. However, Saint Louis could not hold on to an early lead and lost 2-1. It was a quiet ride on the bus back to Smugala's, then a quiet drive home.


No comments: