24 August 2017

Solar Eclipse and A Win at the Death

Monday (21 August) was a busy morning as usual at the car rental branch, with returns off the weekend and rentals to start the week. We got a respite in the early afternoon, due to the total eclipse of the sun that we had in the St. Louis area and a good portion of the United States that day. I was able to get out into our front parking lot and--wearing sun-safe goggles--witness the moon passing in front of the sun. I also used those goggles to take some pictures using my phone. When the period of totality arrived, it was like early evening for a brief time, with lights going on around our area. Then, the moon continued its journey and the sun began returning to its usual self. It was the first time I witnessed a solar eclipse in person and it was incredible.

I also got good news that afternoon from my doctor's office, as the results of last week's blood test came back all good for me.

I worked the next day, then flexed out in mid-afternoon. That morning, I was driven to our Creve Coeur branch to pick up a vehicle. There, I chatted briefly with Melissa, who just started at that branch after a few months working at the Airport. She started her career with the firm at Ellisville, and we were so happy to chat in person for the first time since then. Melissa is a fun gal who gets the job done very well.

I was to have hosted this month's IPMS/Gateway (http://www.ipms-gateway.com/) business meeting; however, it was called off due to a lack of quorum. Hopefully, we'll have that meeting next week. In the meantime, I've been making sure our upcoming contest gets listed on some area news websites and calendars of events.

After work yesterday (23 August), I headed to Toyota Stadium for a midweek match between Saint Louis FC (http://saintlouisfc.com/landing/index) and Tulsa Roughnecks FC. I got a bratwurst and a beer at the concession stand, then made my way to Section 8, where I joined with the St. Louligans (http://stlouligans.com/) in cheering on Saint Louis FC. The home side was down 1-0, but they rallied back and won 2-1, with the winning goal scored in the 90th minute. After the match, the Saint Louis FC players came towards our section and led a song in tribute to the St. Louligans. It was a fun night for sure.

This weekend, after I work Saturday morning, I will spend time in St. Louis' Tower Grove Park for the International Institute's Festival of Nations (http://www.festivalofnationsstl.org/), an annual multicultural festival. I will help staff the information booth of Viva Brasil STL (http://www.e.vivabrasilstl.org/) on Sunday afternoon, and may volunteer with the Festival later that Sunday. Hope to see you there!


No comments: