08 August 2018

In the Footsteps of Ulysses S. Grant

I slept in late yesterday (7 August), the first day of my vacation this week. After getting up and getting dressed, I drove to my polling place to vote in that day's Missouri Primary Election. I was in and out rather quickly, and I was happy to have cast my ballot. I was mostly happy with the results when there were announced that night.


After waiting out some rain that came here this morning, after lunch I headed to Grant's Farm (https://www.grantsfarm.com/), which I had not been to for many years. After parking in the lot across the street from the entrance, I walked across the road and caught the tram at Grant Station. We rolled past the main gate--made famous in some Budweiser (https://www.budweiser.com/) commercials--a fence made with Civil War rifle barrels, and Hardscrabble, the cabin that Ulysses S. Grant and his family called home in the late 1850s.


The tram then took us through the Deer Park, where quite a few creatures--including deer, bison, and cattle--were living in a nature preserve. We then arrived at the Tiergarten, where myself and the other passengers got off.



In the Tiergarten, I saw children with their parents feeding goats with bottled milk. Also, there were tortoises, eagles, parakeets, kangaroos, elephants, zebras, and camels on display. There weren't too many people there, probably due to the rain earlier in the day, so I didn't feel crowded there.




After that, I entered the Bauernhof, where I enjoyed seeing the collection of horse-drawn vehicles, tack, and equestrian awards won by the Busch family's horses raised at Grant's Farm.




After that, I walked over to the Anheuser-Busch Hospitality room, where I received a complementary cup of Michelob Golden Light beer. I never had this beer before, but I liked it.


After all that, it was back on the tram to return to Grant Station. After that ride, I browsed through the General's Store, but didn't find anything I was in the mood to buy. I then walked across the road to the parking lot and got into my car. I drove by the nearby Budweiser Clydesdales (https://www.budweiser.com/en/clydesdales.html) facility, but did not linger as I had someplace to go to next.


I drove a short way east of the Grant's Farm parking lot to arrive at Ulysses S. Grant National Historic Site (https://www.nps.gov/ulsg/index.htm), which I had never visited before. I arrived at the Visitor Center, where the Ranger mentioned about the attractions there. (Part of this center was being used as a polling place that day.) I browsed through the nearby Museum--housed in a former stable Grant had built on the property--which looked at the life of Grant--Civil War general and 18th President of the United States--and his wife, Julia Dent Grant. I then shopped in the gift shop, where I bought a Site bookmark. (Appropriate, since I have been reading the book Grant by Ron Chernow (https://ronchernow.com/) lately.)


Then, I joined in a group of visitors who followed a ranger to White Haven, the house owned by Grant's father in law, Colonel Dent, and acquired after the Civil War by Grant. We walked through the first floor of the two-store house, admiring the furnishings and other exhibits. We also looked into the Summer Kitchen, Ice House, and Chicken House near the main house. It was most fascinating to come here and walk in Grant's footsteps.





After the day out there, it was time to go home. Quite a fine day.

Later

No comments: