10 August 2018

Strolling Through Aviation History in Marshall

My vacation this week continued today with a road trip. First stop was the Nicholas-Beazley Aviation Museum (http://nicholasbeazley.org/) in Marshall, Missouri--181 miles (291 km) west of St. Louis. I had first heard of this museum and of the Nicholas-Beazley Airplane Company from a program at a Missouri Aviation Historical Society (https://moavhist.org/) meeting about three years ago.

After entering the museum and paying my admission charge to the woman at the counter, Shannon from the volunteer guided me into the museum. He first showed a short video about the lore of flight and about the Nicholas-Beazley concern. I mentioned that I first learned about this museum and firm from the Society, and he thought I would be disappointed in his talk, but I told Shannon no worries and let him talk a bit about the history and exhibits in the museum, before letting me look on my own in greater detail. Before we parted, I gave Shannon a Missouri Aviation Historical Society card with my name added to it, and he said he'd pass this on to the museum's director. This museum has plenty of photos, memorabilia, and some hands-on exhibits.


The firm began just after World War I, when Marshall native Russell B. Nicholas began selling surplus aircraft propellers. He soon expanded into aircraft parts. Nicholas joined with Howard Beazley in 1923 to form the Nicholas-Beazley Motor Company, to produce automobiles, but they switched from autos to aircraft one year later. In 1925, they established the Marhsall Flying School, which trained over 3000 pilots--at one time, the largest civilian flight school in the world. The Nicholas-Beazley Airplane Company was the country's largest distributor of aircraft parts by 1927, when they began designing and producing aircraft in partnership with designer Walter Barling.




Their talents produced the Barling NB-3 monoplane in 1928, which set several records for US light aircraft. This was followed in 1931 by the NB-8, a two-seat monoplane with folding wings for easier storage. However, the lingering effects of the Great Depression would doom the firm, which went out of business by 1939.





This museum also has exhibits on Marshall natives who served in World War II and just afterward, with much memorabilia, and a Young Aviator's Museum that encourages children to learn about aviation with hands-on activities. I was the only person visiting the museum during that time today (late morning to midday), which meant I had a clear view for photos, which I greatly appreciated. Before leaving, I donated $1 to a donation jar, and bought a museum mug from the gift shop. I wanted to do my bit to help out this museum, which I feel does much to showcase an otherwise forgotten chapter in aviation history. Definitely recommended for aviation history fans.

Later.

No comments: