22 February 2012

One Less Car Matter to Worry About

Last Thursday (16 Feb.), I was at Carmine's Steak House in downtown St. Louis for the monthly luncheon of the Society of Professional Journalists (SPJ) in St. Louis. The event featured a panel discussion of online news start-ups, with experiences good and bad related by the panelists. I was there at the invitation of an editor and writer, Janette Lonsdale, for whom I had just performed a proofreading job. It was good meeting Janette, the lunch was good and I enjoyed this event. Well worth the $15 I spent as a non-SPJ member to attend.

Late that afternoon, I was at Lambert-St. Louis International Airport to attend the re-dedication of the Black Americans in Flight mural in the terminal building. Two others from the Missouri Aviation Historical Society (MAHS) were there to attend the ceremony, which was very nice. St. Louis Mayor Francis Slay and St. Louis County Executive Charlie Dooley were among the speakers.

Then, I drove to downtown Clayton for the MAHS meeting, which featured a presentation about the Civil Air Patrol (CAP) from two MAHS members with CAP ties. A nice, little yet informative presentation on the CAP and its role in US society.

I got my federal and state income taxes done Friday night, on the computer (thanks to TurboTax). Saturday (18 Feb.) was a bit odd. I had been assigned five futsal games that afternoon at Creve Coeur Racquet Club (CCRC) earlier in the week, but was told then that the second game was a forfeit. Saturday morning, the assignor called to say the third and four games were now also forfeits, leaving me just the first and fifth games of the slate. After that first game, I drove to West County Center to browse for awhile before returning to CCRC for the 5 pm match. However, neither team for that match showed up. So, I ended up working only one game, but I will be paid for those other assigned games as well. Oh, well. Season's nearly over. The next morning, I was refereeing under-16 boys' games at Scott Gallagher. The three matches I worked went well, including my middle in the first game. A close game, but one I kept in good control.

Tuesday morning (21 Feb.), I received a last bit of documentation from Weiss Toyota, a notarized lien release. After picking that up at the dealership, I then went to the license office in Oakville to apply for the Corolla's title, pay the state tax on that purchase, and renew the license plates that were transferred from my Saturn SL. That's a big relief. I should have my car's title in just over a week, and the license plates due for renewal at month's end will be good for another year.

Tuesday night's IPMS/Gateway meeting at Calvary Presbyterian Church was good. I helped judge the model contest, which drew 20 entries--a good total for the first contest of the year. I also won some money with the winning 50/50 raffle ticket. Additionally, I signed up for the same kit contest, paying my fee and picking up the kit to complete by the June meeting.

This afternoon found me in Brentwood. First, I went to a meeting of the GO! Network's marketing committee, to start laying out ideas for promoting GO! Network among job seekers and the local media. Then, I stopped by O.B. Clark's to watch the UEFA Champions League games on TV with several fellow St. Louis United FC members.

Later.

No comments: