19 March 2017

Nicaraguan Cuisine, Soccer, and Jury Duty

A week ago Friday night (10 March)--after a day at work, where I brought in doughnuts for my colleagues--I joined five others from the Ethnic Restaurant Fans Meetup group (https://www.meetup.com/Ethnic-Restaurant-Fans/) for dinner at Fritanga Nicaraguan Restaurant (http://www.fritangastl.net/) in the Benton Park neighborhood. It was my first time there, and my group mates and I really enjoyed the dining experience. I chose Carne Asada (marinated beef sirloin tips), with Gallo Pinto (red beans and rice) and Tajadas Verdes (crispy green plantain strips). A very good night, and another restaurant I can highly recommend.

I did some work on a model over that weekend, getting ready for a IPMS/Gateway (http://www.ipms-gateway.com/) contest this month. Sunday (12 March) found me at World Wide Technology Soccer Park (http://saintlouisfc.com/soccerpark) refereeing three youth soccer matches. I was in the middle for two of those matches. All of them went well.

I reported for jury duty Monday morning (13 March) at the Circuit Court of St. Louis County (http://www.stlouisco.com/LawandPublicSafety/CircuitCourt) in Clayton. I was summoned before, in mid-2013. This time, after waiting a few minutes in the jury assembly room, I and 46 others were selected for the jury pool for a civil trial. We went into the courtroom, seated in the audience area, with the judge, court reporter, clerk, plaintiff and her two attorneys, the defendant and his two attorneys, and the bailiff. This was a medical malpractice suit, with the plaintiff claiming a podiatrist and his practice damaged her one foot trying to freeze out a nerve ending. The plaintiff's lead attorney asked a number of potential jurors if anything would prejudice them on a jury. This went on the rest of the morning. After a lunch break--I walked over to Chipotle (https://chipotle.com/) and ate there--the defendant's lead attorney interviewed the jury pool. I told him I had seen podiatrists several times in recent years to deal with foot injuries from soccer refereeing, but assured the attorney I would not be prejudiced. After waiting an hour outside the courtroom, we potential jurors were led back into the courtroom and the 12 jurors and two alternates were seated. I was not one of them. The rest of the pool was dismissed with the thanks of the court. I then went to work at the rental branch for the last 90 minutes of the day.

Work at the branch this past week went very well. Our new management trainee, Lauren, joined our team this week. She joins Manager Justin, Assistant Manager Cayla, and Management Assistant Kory behind the counter.

After flexing out of work Tuesday afternoon, I went home to work more on my model. That night, I went to Syberg's (http://sybergs.com/) on Dorsett in Maryland Heights. There, Saint Louis FC (http://saintlouisfc.com/landing/index) held a Meet the Team party, in which several players were in attendance. I talked briefly with them and they all were upbeat about their hopes for this coming season.

Off Thursday (16 March), I worked on my model. That night, I went to Creve Coeur Airport (http://www.crevecoeurairport.com/) for this month's Missouri Aviation Historical Society (https://moavhist.org/) meeting. There was a presentation about nose art on aircraft of the US Army Air Forces' 4th Fighter Group, which was based in England during World War II. Lynn Chilberg and her husband, Howard, presented video about her father, Donald E. Allen, and presented prints of the art Allen did during the war for the 4th. The Chilbergs also offered prints based on Allen's art for sale. I didn't have any money on me to buy right then, but I may order a print or two from them in the coming weeks.

I worked a full day Friday and on Saturday morning. After worked a while on my model, I went to Saint Louis University (http://www.slu.edu/) to cheer on Saint Louis FC against Tulsa Roughnecks FC in a pre-season match at Robert R. Hermann Stadium. I joined with the St. Louligans (http://stlouligans.com/) to march into the stadium and to sing and chant in one section of the stadium. I also received a new group scarf I ordered a few weeks ago. However, Tulsa won the match 3-0.

This morning, I went to Kolping Fields in south St. Louis County to referee three youth matches. After running lines on two matches, I was in the middle on the third. All these matches went well.


No comments: